Archive for the ‘Random Stuff’ Category
I get regular questions asking how I get a good cut on intricate designs so I thought I’d pop in to share what I had just sent to someone in an email. Here’s a few quick tips that help me to get a good cut on my Zing, you may have a different machine but it still might be helpful :)
Mat: My mat has to be pretty sticky to hold the paper/card nice and secure
Blade: Yes we need a fairly sharp blade but it doesn’t need to be brand new
Blade Exposure: Don’t have too much of your blade exposed as the blade snagging in the mat can cause tears, it feels weird to reduce the amount of exposed blade to get a better cut but it does work.
Material: The paper or card you use can play quite a big part, I normally use approx 160gsm for my most intricate cuts (approx 65lbs) which is kind of the middle ground between card and heavyweight paper but if it is fibrous with a rough feeling finish then it could rip and tear terribly, I like to use a very smooth coated card I find it works great for me (I’ve been using Xerox Colour Impressions 160gsm, I buy it in reams). Also if you can get hold of Worldwin Cutmates which is approx 65lbs, that cuts great too, I love that stuff and it comes in lots of colours too.
It’s a flying visit but I’ll be back with a new project shortly :)
Today I’m sharing the last of the projects I made with my little visitor, we made a fun Button Necklace!
1. We selected lots of similar sized Buttons from my stash in a variety of Pink shades and chose some matching 1mm Pink/White Twine.
2. We found the middle of our length of Twine and tied a knot allowing for a loop at the end.
3. I threaded both ends of the Twine through a large needle then added the Buttons giving every second Button a half turn, the half turn allows the Button to sit behind and this forms 2 rows.
4. We tied another knot in the Twine once enough Buttons had been added to hold them in place.
5. Approximately 1 inch from the last Button I tied on a Flower Button.
Note: The loop and the Flower Button form the Necklace Closure, not only is it nice and easy to take on and off but it was was also easy for my little helper to remember that the Loop goes over the Flower :)